This is another Disney Blog by a Disney fan who wants to talk about whatever he wants. Disney related, of course.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Disney's Hollywood Studios


In 1989 as I watched Disney Channel specials on the new Disney MGM Studios that had just opened at Walt Disney World I was jealous. I had never been to the vacation capital of the world. By 1989 I was an old pro at Disneyland and I could not believe all the lucky people that got to go to the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Center, and Disney MGM Studios.

It wasn't until 1998 that I made my first trip to Walt Disney World. My parents took us there as a high school graduation present to me. I remember the first time I entered the Magic Kingdom I was awestruck by the castle. My first visit to Epcot had me running from pavilion to pavilion wishing I had got there a few years earlier to see the World of Motion and the original Universe of Energy. When I approached the turnstiles at Disney MGM the first time I just kept wondering why they had the MGM name on there at all.

Disney has been a major player in the movie industry since the 1930's. At the time Disney MGM Studios opened MGM was just a shadow of their former might and glory. Why did they bring the name of an aging, almost out of business studio on to open their new theme park? I have always felt that they should have just name it Disney Studios or Walt Disney Studios. Now, had they not brought in MGM there probably would be a very different Great Movie Ride if it existed at all. I love the Great Movie Ride but I think they could have used Disney movies and licensed other movies to be included without bringing the MGM name into the picture.


I will probably be in the minority but I say good riddance to the MGM name. I am also glad they did not change the name to Disney-Pixar Studios too. I like the name Disney's Hollywood Studios. I would still prefer Walt Disney Studios for the name like they have in Paris. Hollywood Studios will work just fine though. I just never felt right saying, "I'll meet you at MGM."

Now that MGM is out of the way I say bring on Lucasland and Pixar Place. I can't wait to see what changes are in store for Disney's Hollywood Studios besides the name change. I think that this could be an exciting time for this park. It wouldn't take much to turn this park around. I don't even mind the hat. It is out of place but it isn't that bad.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Why do you say the hat is out of place? Especially with the theme of Illuminations, it seems right at home to me. If anything is out of place it's the Rock'N Roller Coaster, but it's still a fun ride.

Chris said...

I can see both sides of Rock 'N Roller Coaster. If this is a movie studio a recording company doesn't really fit. A recording studio does fit perfectly on Sunset though. So I can see both sides thematically. I do agree that is very fun.

The hat to me doesn't really fit because you enter the park on Hollywood Blvd and down the street is the Chinese theater behind a giant hat. Like I said. I like it. I just don't think it fits.

Anonymous said...

Nice blogging on hollywood ...
For free online Dating Services http://tringuladating.com / Online Dating site for singles.

Anonymous said...

How To Make money with affiliate programs Today. Affiliate marketing is the easier and probably the most effective method to make money from the internet. It is basically, a kind of selling technique where potential buyers from your website are directed to the websites of sellers. For every click, the website owner gets a small commission.
www.onlineuniversalwork.com